RESEARCH ASSOCIATE – AGRIBUSINESS SPECIALIST at World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) December, 2018
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: worldveg.org
WorldVeg seeks a Research Associate – Agribusiness Specialist for an initiative aimed at improving the nutritional status and income of smallholder farmer households, especially those led by women and youth in Zanzibar by increasing the supply and demand of a variety of improved and nutrient-dense traditional African vegetables (TAVs) as part of the program ‘Feed the Future Tanzania Mboga na Matunda (FTFT-MnM)’. The program is implemented by Fintrac with funding from the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
The incumbent will be based at the Center’s regional office for Eastern and Southern Africa, located in Arusha, Tanzania, with frequent travel to Zanzibar, and report to the Project Coordinator.
- Lead in implementing trainings to increase market access and participation of women and youth (coordinate the collection, grading, packing, and delivery of vegetable crops produced, ensure timely delivery and take care of logistics).
- Manage all other day-to-day activities of the program: (1) nutritional awareness trainings; (2) TAV production and utilization capacity trainings; (3) sales of subsidized TAV seed kits; (4) trainings to demonstrate and promote the adaptation of TAVs; (5) baseline and endline studies to monitor and evaluate the efficacy of trainings.
- Help supervise and develop work plans for Assistant-Field Officers in Zanzibar.
- Contribute to project reporting and publication of research results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center.
Skills, knowledge and qualifications
- A Master’s Degree in agribusiness, agricultural economics or related discipline.
- A minimum of three years of experience, preferably an international non-governmental organization or an international private sector company, is highly preferred.
- Proven experience in market and value chain analysis.
- Proven experience working in linking farmer groups to markets (including group dynamics and formation, price negotiation).
- Knowledge of the vegetable sector is considered a strong asset.
- Knowledge of market standard implementation is considered a strong asset.
- Proven experience in conducting farm household surveys.
- Strong report and technical writing skills.
- A research publication record is a strong advantage.
- Ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload; take initiatives and work under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
- Must be able to work with multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment and be willing to travel extensively to project areas.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter, clearly illustrating their suitability for the above position against each of the listed items under ‘skills, knowledge and qualifications’, together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees. Applications should be sent by e-mail only to [email protected] with the title ‘Research Associate – Agribusiness Specialist’. Only applications sent by e-mail and following these requirements will be considered. Only applications from short-listed candidates will be acknowledged. WorldVeg offers an attractive working environment in a multi-cultural setting with employees from different countries and diverse backgrounds. WorldVeg is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Closing date: Closing date for applications is 25 December 2018.
29 total views, 2 today