Senior Program Officer Job Opportunity at ABT Associates Tanzania
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Organization: Abt Associates
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 08 Dec 2018
Abt Associates seeks a professional with a strong background in family planning to serve as Senior Program Officer, Family Planning for the Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS Plus) project in Tanzania.
SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The purpose of the global project is to improve health outcomes and contribute to the achievement of major global efforts, especially Ending Preventable Child and Maternal Deaths, AIDS-free Generation, and FP2020. Family Planning 2020 (FP2020) is a “global partnership that supports the rights of women and girls to decide, freely, and for themselves, whether, when, and how many children they want to have.”
The private sector is integral to the health system and an important provider of priority health care services. To improve health outcomes and meet these global commitments, SHOPS Plus will strategically engage the private sector. SHOPS Plus Tanzania will increase the use of priority health services for family planning (FP), HIV, and malaria by strengthening the capacity of the private sector to provide quality health products and services, improving the enabling environment for private sector provision of health products and services, and improving ownership of total market approaches within Tanzanian institutions. The Senior Program Officer will support family planning and TMA strategies with support from the SHOPS Plus Tanzania team and Abt’s home office technical staff.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement family planning project activities that increase voluntary uptake from the private sector and serve as technical lead for activity implementation
- Guide program activities to be consistent with FP2020
- Provide support in the implementation of rights and choice-based approaches in the provision of family planning counseling while promoting method mix
- Provide high-level direction on FP technical areas, including relevant programmatic, policy, or clinical guidance
- Support the mainstreaming of TMAs in the national FP program for improved commodity security
- Expand FP modules via private sector outlets such as ADDOs
- Stay current on emerging, best, and proven practices, and latest evidence base on family planning and deploy FP data to guide technical work
- Support FP market assessments, track policy documents and developments relevant to the planning, budgeting, and implementation of family interventions in Tanzania
- Conduct site visits, review the programming and implementation of ongoing projects, prepare reports, make recommendations and conduct follow-up visits as directed
- Provide research, analysis, and advisory services on work planning, work plan implementation, training, and monitoring and evaluation
- Represent Abt at working groups and meetings with donor agencies, implementing partners and government counterparts
- Support COP in ensuring teamwork and collaboration within the project and with partners and stakeholder representatives to build and maintain productive relationships
- Collaborate with high-level health and family planning partners, district local governments, district health teams, and other stakeholders in the implementation of project activities to organize strategic meetings and workshops as needed
Ajira zetu November 2018
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Management, Development, or related field
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience and in international development, including at least 3 years a senior technical professional or program manager working in health development programs, preferably USAID-funded
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of family planning activities
- Demonstrated knowledge of using data for decision making and programmatic implementation
- Knowledge of Total Market Approach (TMA) principles
- Advanced knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and strategies, and the latest professional developments in sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Fluency in English
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and the ability to write for a variety of audiences.
How to apply:
Please send your applications to [email protected], referencing “Senior Program Officer” in the subject line.
12 total views, 1 today