Job Opportunities at World Vegetable Center December 2018
Research Assistant – Field Officer
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: worldveg.org
Therefore, WorldVeg seeks two Research Assistant – Field Officers for an initiative aimed at improving the nutritional status and income of smallholder farmer households, especially those led by women and youth in Zanzibar by increasing the supply and demand of a variety of improved and nutrient-dense traditional African vegetables (TAVs) as part of the program ‘Feed the Future Tanzania Mboga na Matunda (FTFT-MnM)’. The program is implemented by Fintrac with funding from the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
The incumbents will be based in Zanzibar, with frequent travel to the Center’s regional office for Eastern and Southern Africa, and report to the Project Coordinator.
- Firstly, Day-to-day implementation of field activities and training: (1) nutritional awareness training: (2) TAV production and utilization capacity training: (3) sales of subsidized TAV seed kits; (4) training to demonstrate and promote the adaptation of TAVs; (5) market training.
- Secondly, Assist in baseline and endline studies to monitor and evaluate the efficacy of training.
- Thirdly, Contribute to project reporting, flyers, manuals and other written outputs of the program.
- Lastly, Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center.
Skills, knowledge, and qualifications
- Firstly, A Bachelor Degree in horticulture or related discipline.
- Secondly, We prefer A minimum of three years of experience, preferably an international non-governmental organization or an international private sector company.
- Thirdly, Proven experience in working with farmers and farmer groups through training.
- Fourthly, Knowledge of the vegetable sector and/or Zanzibar is a strong asset.
- Also, Knowledge of market standard implementation is considered a strong asset.
- Moreover, Ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload: take initiatives and work under pressure.
- Furthermore, Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
- Lastly, Must be able to work with multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment and be willing to travel extensively to project areas.
How to apply:
We are inviting Applicants to send a cover letter, clearly illustrating their suitability for the above position against each of the listed items under ‘skills, knowledge and qualifications’, together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees.
Also, Applications should be sent by e-mail only to [email protected] with the title ‘Research Assistant – Field Officer’. Only applications sent by e-mail and following these requirements will be considered. WorldVeg offers an attractive working environment in a multi-cultural setting with employees from different countries and diverse backgrounds. WorldVeg is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Closing date: Closing date for applications is 25 December 2018.
17 total views, 1 today