Executive Assistant at UNHCR November, 2018
Job Title: Executive Assistant
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Representation Office, Dar es Salaam invites qualified internal/external candidates to apply for the following position:
Vacancy Notice No: DAR/A/2018/008
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Duration: One year
Start Date: 01 January 2019
Issue Date: 26 November 2018
Closing Date:10 December 2018
- Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Representative, the incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities:
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
The supervisor is provided support by managing the flow of information and communications, prioritizing and highlighting issues that need addressing.
Background documents for meetings are prepared in time.
- Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assist in managing the flow of information to the supervisor, in identifying priority matters that need to be urgently addressed by the supervisor and in proposing actions; analyze supporting documentation and summarize most relevant points for the supervisor; contribute to ensuring that appropriate action is taken by responsible Section Heads on matters brought to the attention of the supervisor.
- Assist in following-up on policies and instructions presented by the supervisor. Keep the supervisor aware of developments in UNHCR’s major worldwide operations and of policy issues related directly to UNHCR or to humanitarian issues under the broader UN system.
- Assist the supervisor in the preparation of statements that represent UNHCR’s overall policies and which highlight specific areas of concern. Propose and draft substantive correspondence for the supervisor.
- Confer with Section Heads to secure timely and authoritative information relevant to matters requiring action, decisions or the signature of the supervisor.
- Ensure that the supervisor is prepared for meetings and missions by drafting talking points, by researching relevant information, and by establishing contacts (within and outside UNHCR) on the subject matters to be discussed.
- Accompany the supervisor to meetings and on missions in order to prepare notes on the discussions, ensure follow-up in matters raised, and support the supervisor with any relevant input.
- Support the supervisor in efforts to raise the profile of UNHCR and the agency’s concerns within the context of the broader United Nations system.
- Contribute to coordinating drafts of position papers and other documents relevant to the activities of the Office.
- Ensure that high-level visitors are appropriately addressed, that they receive background information as necessary, and that protocol is respected.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Prioritize tasks and organize work independently.
- Select and make pertinent abstracts and search for information.
- Have access to sensitive and confidential information.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience
Undergraduate degree (the equivalent of a BA/BS) in Political Science, International Relations, Law or other related fields plus minimum of 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (an equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (an equivalent of a Ph.D.) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
Proven drafting and editing skills.
Excellent communication skills.
A proven ability to act with discretion and diplomacy is essential for this function.
Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Good knowledge and experience of UNHCR operations.
Working knowledge of French (both written and spoken).
How to Apply
The Expression of Interest for the position should be sent by email to:
The Human Resources Officer
Dar es Salaam.
Email: [email protected]
13 total views, 2 today