IHI is looking for an experienced Research Officer to work with a project bearing the title: Targeting Host Seeking Malaria Mosquitoes Using a Trick Evolved by their Parasites. This project aims to assess and develop novel mosquito attractants based on organic volatiles generated by Gametocyte Circulating Metabolites in the Human Blood (HMBPP) for attracting and trapping the malaria vector masses.
The candidate will conduct semi-field and field experiments to evaluate the attractiveness of HMBPP induced lures to malaria vectors. Also, the candidate will recruit malaria patients and healthy individuals from community members in the village to compare the profiles of volatiles generated from their exhaled breaths and skin.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Act as a project leader at Ifakara branch.
• Conduct all semi-field and field experiments.
• Provide written progress reports of all experiments to the Principal Investigator (PI).
• Maintain adequate inventory of supplier for day to day project operations.
• Participate in training and supervising technicians in the team when required.
• Participate in study design
, protocol development, data collection, and analysis as well as manuscript writing.
• Maintain appropriate relationships between staff within and between units at IHI.
• Undertake any other duties that the PI shall reasonably require from time to time.
• Check for consents from all village participants before the start of field experiments.
• Recruit malaria positive and healthy individuals from community members in the village.
• Ensure the project is conducted according to the research ethical guidelines.
• Communicate with other staff within and between departments at IHI regularly at scheduled meetings.
Qualifications and Experience
• The holder of a Bachelor Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, General Science, Zoology and Veterinary Medicine.
• Applicants with classified Bachelor degree must have GPA of 3.5 or above.
• Experience in malaria research will be an added advantage.
• Priority will be given to applicants residing in areas where the project will be conducted.
Skills and Competencies
• Ability to manage and lead the project team.
• Proven interpersonal skills to deal with different scientists, technicians, accountants, and administrators.
• Excellent written and fluent spoken English and Kiswahili Languages.
• Self-motivated and team building.
• Ability to work with communities in rural areas.
• Computer skills: MS Word, MS Excel, and statistical software packages.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the workplace and during recruitment.
All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labor laws of Tanzania.