Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor, GHSA Portfolio
The Senior Technical Advisor, (STA) provides management support and technical assistance for the design and implementation of interventions related to Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) portfolio of MTaPS countries, specifically focusing on technical areas of infection prevention and control (IPC), water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), and antimicrobial stewardship (AMS). The STA provides support primarily to the portfolio manager and technical lead of GHSA/IPC/AMR portfolio, but also to the other senior technical staff assigned to specific activities to ensure that the work is of the highest quality. As required, the STA also works with other MTaPS portfolios and technical staff on opportunities, new and existing tools, and headquarters-based and country implementation programs related to strengthening pharmaceutical management systems.
Technical Support (30%)
- Work closely with the GHSA/IPC/WASH/AMR technical lead and portfolio manager to help develop, review, implement, and monitor technical approaches and strategies for strengthening response to GHSA challenges specifically focusing on IPC, WASH, and AMS, and on improving pharmaceutical management systems to support these technical areas as related the MTaPS deliverables, reporting, knowledge management and learning.
- Provide technical assistance to support the design and implementation of core and country interventions to contain antimicrobial resistance by in improving IPC, WASH, and AMS practices as outlined in GHSA and USAID AMR strategy.
- As needed provide support to other MTaPS pharmaceutical systems strengthening and health elements portfolios in the development and implementation of strategies and work plans, technical activities and monitoring and reporting.
- Facilitate the planning, organization, and conduct of training courses and data collection/analysis covering AMR and pharmaceutical management technical areas for external audiences and MTaPS staff as required.
- Supervise technical staff as assigned.
- Coordinate with other project activities ensuring harmonization and collaboration with other aspects of the program in country.
Capacity Building (20%)
- Participate in human resource capacity assessments in the pharmaceutical sector and collaborate internally and externally to develop country-specific capacity building material, strategies and roll out plans.Assist Department of Health (DoH) and National Programs to design and review, policies, standards, guidelines, procedures and other relevant materials,
- Participate in the planning and delivery of Pharmaceutical system strengthening programs aimed at building the capacity of department of health, national programs, drug regulatory authority, other pharmaceutical cadres and training institutions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders for the development, deployment and implementation of appropriate tools necessary to improve pharmaceutical management information systems and their appropriate use for decision making.
Monitoring and Evaluation (20%)
- In coordination with the M&E team, support project for the establishment of mechanisms for collecting relevant data to their established indicators. Also participate in program review activities and provide adequate recommendations.
- Support Technical Advisors and other project staff in the adequate documentation and dissemination of program results and lessons learned including the development and submission of abstracts and articles to scientific journals and conferences.
Performance Management (10%)
- Supervise assigned Technical Advisors ensuring the adequacy of their performance and their continuous professional development.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree in a health-related field with specialized training and/or experience related to GHSA elements such as IPC, WASH and AMS; physician, nurse, pharmacist or other public health qualification preferred.
- Physician, nurse, pharmacist or public health qualification preferred.
- 5 years of relevant experience in pharmaceutical management and/or other public health areas. Experience in infection prevention and control activities is required, preferably including that at health facility level. Experience in other areas of AMR containment such as WASH and antimicrobial stewardship highly desirable.
- Experience with public health programs in developing country context supported by bilateral agencies such as USAID, CDC and international agencies such as the Global Fund, UNITAID, WHO and World Bank preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English are essential.
- Proficiency in French is required; languages of other USAID-supported countries is an asset.
- Strong computer skills; Excel, MS Word, MS Project, PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
Ability to work independently and in Team
Good judgment for decision making.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability in consensus building and constructively leading a team.
Ability to travel internationally and domestically up to 30% of time as required to support the progress of program activities.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Principal Technical Advisor
CLICK HERE TO APPLY