|Technical Program Officer –Safe Secondment To Ntdcp Ntd Programs at Helen Keller International- Ajira Tanzania 2018|
Established in 1984, the HKI-Tanzania office was the organization’s first in Africa set up to provide primary eye care services in central Tanzania. HKI has since expanded its role and currently works in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoH), local NGO’s, and other national and international development partners in the areas of nutrition and neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), particularly trachoma.
The scope of the Position:
HKI-Tanzania is the Coordinating Partner in the Trachoma SAFE Program through ICTC (International Coalition for Trachoma Control) with Sightsavers UK as Grant Manager.
Position Title: Technical Program Officer
• Represent NTDCP when participating in joint NTDCP/HKI supervision visits to the regions of the Trachoma SAFE Program and use technical and surgical skills to provide guidance and capacity building to surgeons, screeners, other technical personnel, and to implementing partners; also submit detailed reports on these visits.
• Co-plan, create learning materials, and facilitate various training and workshops, particularly on the technical aspects of surgical quality and on ensuring full compliance with international best practices and ethical standards.
• Manage a roster of technical supervisors for supervision and audit activities and collect, collate, and analyze data from these visits. Present comprehensive findings from these activities at meetings and workshops and utilize findings to make recommendations for quality assurance of services provided through the SAFE program.
• Work with RECs and RNTDs to ensure that their quarterly scheduled visits are occurring and that useful learnings from those activities are shared with the larger program during quarterly meetings and other forums.
• Serve as a liaison with Implementing Partners, RECs and RNTDs, the NTDCP, and regional and district government structures to ensure that all queries, concerns, issues, and requests are followed up on promptly. This may include providing resources or programmatic advice, answering questions, and following up on requested data, documents, permits or other information.
• Write and submit to NTDCP and HKI supervisors all required meeting minutes, fund reconciliations, and post-activity reports for program activities within one week of said activity.
• Oversee activity budgets and ensure that funds are spent according to NTDCP and HKI policy, and assist with providing accurate financial and narrative reports to donors.
• Work with NTDCP and HKI teams to identify challenges to achieving the goal of trachoma elimination by 2020 and develop and implement solutions to overcome those challenges.
Desired Qualifications, Experiences and Conditions
• May not be a current government of Tanzania employee
• An ideal candidate has experience working in rural areas and is able to travel at least one week per month
• Strong data management, supportive supervision, and communication skills
• Must be a Tanzanian national, fluent in Kiswahili and English
• Should be a strategic thinker, who possesses strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills