Job Opportunity at School of St Jude, Teacher (Secondary)
Other Arusha District Arusha
Other Arusha District Arusha
Subjects: Chemistry, English language, History & General Studies, A-Level Biology
Duty Station: Usa River – Arusha, Tanzania
The School of St Jude is a 100% charity-funded education institution that provides free, high-quality primary and secondary scholarships to 1,800 of the poorest and brightest students in the Tanzanian region of Arusha. To provide a high level of education to the school’s children and help those to learn new ideas and concepts to ensure the students meet the required standards of the Tanzanian education system.
- Teach one or more National Curriculum subjects to students in one or more Year levels
- Plan lessons in line with National Curriculum syllabus documents and in accordance with the school policy
- Provide a learning environment which allows students to learn effectively and in which they are inspired to learn
- Monitor and record the progress of the students and encourage them to develop and fulfil their academic potential
- Keep up to date with developments in the subject area, with new resources, teaching methodologies and national objectives.
- Liaise and collaborate with colleagues
- Fully support the work of the departments and fulfil the school’s mission and purpose.
- Work harder hand in hand with the HOD/level coordinator to ensure that the academic and discipline of students at a particular level is attained at high standards.
- Attend all assemblies, arrive punctually sit with the students to make sure they maintain high discipline.
- Attend homeroom session on each morning when assigned and follow the homeroom procedures without failure.
- Make sure your students are dressed in proper uniform every morning during homeroom time and other times when deem necessary.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop schemes of work (in collaboration with your HOD and other members of the department)
- Plan, prepare and deliver lessons to a range of classes
- Prepare and maintain classroom norms and regulations which inspires the students to learn
- Devise and write new curriculum materials.
- Identify, develop, select and use a range of different teaching and learning resources and equipment
- Use relevant technology and strategies to support the teaching and learning in the classroom
- Be fully aware of the students’ who need and support them individually
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities within the lesson.
- Fill in the log books at the end of every week and schemes of work at the end of each month and submit it to the HOD for signing.
- Prepare homework and class work assignments and assessment tasks in line with school policy.
- Mark work, provide appropriate feedback and maintain records of student progress and development
- Provide timely and appropriate feedback to students in a way which will inform their learning.
- Recognise that assessment is on-going and should be carried out continuously
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development
- Fully prepare students for all internal and external examinations
- Research new topics and maintain up-to-date subject knowledge
- Be prepared to learn how to use relevant technology to improve the quality of teaching and learning
- Be prepared to learn from others and be a lifelong learner
- Undergo regular observations and participate in regular in-service training (INSET) as part of continuing professional development (CPD)
- Participate in ESL lessons and any other activities organised by Teacher Mentors.
- Manage pupil behaviour in the classroom and throughout the school and apply appropriate and effective measures in cases of misbehaviour
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school and apply appropriate disciplinary measures where necessary
- Call parents (in collaboration with the HOD/level coordinator/deputy head master) when there is an academic/discipline concern or issues.
- Provide support to the HOD and other members of the department in all aspects of curriculum delivery.
- Take part in peer assessment – observing and providing feedback to colleagues.
- Prepare suitable and appropriate emergency lesson Plans which can be used when absent and to monitor their use.
- Cover for absent colleagues when required.
- Attend staff meetings, committee meetings and level meetings full time.
- Carry out specific allocated duties when you are on duty (T.O.D).
- Participate in and organise extracurricular activities, such as outings, social activities and sporting events.
- Participate in House Checks as requested by Community Relations team.
- Participate and support fellow staff in school mission related activities such as all School Celebration Days throughout the year.
- Participate in student selection process, in particular working after hours on rest days and public holidays up to 20 Saturdays per annum.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Academic Leaders, Headmaster and the Employer.
Qualification, Skills and Competence:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education in specific subject.
- 2-3+ years of experience teaching- A-level with outstanding performance
- Added advantage- If you have placed a class on top 10 National wise
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with demonstrated experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and Outlook.
- An energetic, ethical, well disciplined, appropriate dressing code and friendly attitude with the ability to be flexible, patient, personable, easy going and conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- We seek to hire a qualified candidate for the position of a Teacher.
Interested Candidates for this job are kindly requested to send their CV accompanied by a Cover Letter to: [email protected]
3 total views, 1 today