NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA BBC MEDIA ACTION
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
- Produce creative programmes in multi-media formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of media projects in Tanzania. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also ensure that existing projects are delivered to time, to budget and to the highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values as well as Media Action methodologies.
BBC Media Action is seeking a media trainer/mentor to deliver in depth training/mentoring to our partners and their staff in order to raise partners’ capacity to produce varied, high quality and editorially robust media output (including both ‘traditional’ and ‘new’ media). In particular, the post holder will develop training a curriculum which meet the needs of our partners and deliver against our wider project objectives. The trainer/mentor will deliver the training in-situ at our partners, and at centrally-organised training events. The trainer/mentor will provide ongoing support to our partner organisations and their staff, with the goal of raising practices, quality and capacity across the media sector in Tanzania, and fostering stronger links between NGOs and the media.
Job Title: Media Trainer/Mentor
Department/Business Unit: BBC Media Action, Tanzania
Reports To: Senior Trainer/Mentor
Contract length: 6-month fixed term contract
- To develop and deliver the partner training and capacity building elements of BBC Media Action’s projects so that partners reach high standards in terms of quality, effectiveness, impact and relevance and meeting objectives for the relevant project(s).
- To work with more senior colleagues in the mentoring team to design relevant on the job production training guides for partners and to independently deliver these trainings to assigned partners. These documents will guide the entire period of mentorship and serve as a frame of reference for evaluating the trainer/ mentors performance.
- To deliver training workshops and events, using the training curriculum.
- To deliver one on one mentoring to our partners. The trainer/ mentors will provide constructive feedback at the end of each assignment.
- To work closely with partners’ staff on all aspects of training and media production in order to ensure the staff have the maximum sense of ‘ownership’ of the media produced.
- To introduce and continue regular editorial meetings to support output.
- To ensure that findings from research are used to refine and improve projects’ outputs.
- To submit weekly reports and work plans.
- To support all international trainers coming to our partners.
- To ensure all project activities meet BBC standards, as well as delivering the projects’ development objectives.
- To provide technical linkages between NGO experts and partners in development of products and manage relationships between both.
- Where necessary, to work with partners’ management to build and maintain a technical advisory board of NGOs/CSOs at the partners and to advise on programming.
- To generate new project ideas and relate up to management level.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Required skills, knowledge and experience
- Fluent in English and Swahili with ability to write reports and scripts in these languages.
- Strong editorial judgment and substantial media production experience within Tanzania is essential (3 years minimum with a reputable organisation).
- Experience in training is an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication & influencing skills.
- Ability to work in teams.
- Strong understanding of and commitment towards BBC editorial values.
- Strong understanding of the role of media and communications in development.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Self-Development – Is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to:[email protected] with the title of the position applied for in the subject line before 5pm on Tuesday 29th May 2018. Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate cover letter will not be considered. This is a local post applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
4 total views, 1 today