Male Circumcision Program Officer at HJFMRI, March 2018
Henry Jackson Foundation Medical Research International (HJFMRI) In Support of the U.S. Military HIV Research Program (MHRP)is an international non-governmental organization working in several countries providing care and treatment to people affected by HIV/AIDS and conducting research studies and has been actively involved in HIV and AIDS programming for over 30 years.
HJFMRI implements PEPFAR funded HIV prevention, care and treatment activities in the Southern Highlands, providing resources, personnel and services to the Zone. The program has expanded from supporting the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital in becoming a hub for anti-retroviral treatment in the Southern Highlands zone; to community support through decentralized services, with the overall objective of implementing research, clinical HIV, prevention, care and treatment services in Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, Ruvuma and Songwe regions in the zone.
In collaboration with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and community NGOs, HJFMRI has been leading a comprehensive HIV and AIDS care and support program in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania since 2004. The program, which is sub-contracting with Regional Health Management Teams (RHMTs) and 14 community outreach partners, extends to 25 district councils in the five regions. Collectively, the zone, which has one of the highest HIV prevalence rates in Tanzania, represents a catchment area with close to 6 million people (13% of the population of Tanzania mainland). Despite remarkable achievements made over the past ten years, the expansion of HIV care and treatment interventions remains critical both at the facility as well as the community level.
HJFMRI is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position below.
Job Title : Male Circumcision Program Officer
Reports to : Regional Clinical Coordinator and VMMC Advisor
Location : Ruvuma
The Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) Program Officer will provide clinical and programmatic field support to the implementation of HJFMRI's VMMC scale up activities in the Southern Highlands.
The purpose of this position is to provide field-based clinical and programmatic support to the CHMT and RHMT in the implementation of quality VMMC services provided through static sites, outreach and campaign services. She/he will ensure VMMC activities implementation conforms to the national guidelines. She/he will also support partners in the development of annual work plans and budgets based on the country strategies and operational plans.
The program officer for VMMC will be part of a clinical team at the HJFMRI regional offices ensuring the implementation of comprehensive HIV/AIDS services. She/he will directly report to the RCC with dotted lines to the HJFMRI VMMC Programme Advisor. The VMMC program officer's position is based in Mbeya/Rukwa, /Katavi with extensive travels to districts within the region.
• Assist partners in the development of strategic plans, work plans, monthly, quarterly and annual data collection and compilation of reports.
• Provide technical support, mentoring and supervision to implementing partners on VMMC services and ensuring quality improvement and quality assurance in delivering services.
• Assist in organizing and carrying out training programs for healthcare workers to deliver VMMC services in the regions as well as the clinical implementation of VMMC program for HIV prevention.
• Ensure VMMC services follows: WHO, PERFAR/ HJFMRI and Government of Tanzania protocols, policies and guidelines and are consistent with established best practices.
• Contribute to the attainment of all project targets and milestones associated with the implementation of VMMC services.
• Assist in identifying priorities for assessment, research and evaluations related to VMMC services.
• Prepare reports, success stories, technical briefs, draft abstracts for presentations, and updates on the ongoing implementation of VMMC services
• Collaborate with partners to organize outreach and VMMC campaigns in the region and ensure the providers adhere to quality and standardized practices.
• Build capacity of health-care providers and ensure they collect, compile and report quality VMMC data, including the use of data for quality improvement.
• Develop and implement strategies to ensure linkages between VMMC and other facility and community-based HIV services.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to ensure the sound functioning of the program.
Medical Degree (MD) with at least two year surgical clinical experience in Tanzania. Assistant Medical Officers with a three years surgical experience and experience working in HIV program may apply.
• Minimum two years' experience working in H IV/AIDs programs desired.
• Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
• Working with local government officials and government health facilities is important.
• Experience with VMMC as an HIV prevention intervention an added advantage.
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili.
• Strong supervisory and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated the ability to work effectively in a team.
• Experience with U.S. Government-funded programs is desirable.
• Computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, Internet).
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to
The Human Resources Manager,
P.O. Box 6396,
or transmitted by email to; [email protected]
NOTE: to be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE, avoid delivering the application in person.
Deadline for submission of the application is March 30th, 2018.
Those who do not meet the minimum requirements as detailed below should not submit applications.
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer; women are highly encouraged to apply
Source: The Guardian March 19, 2018
3 total views, 1 today